As the title suggests, progress is happening on the Mini at last!
I’m going to take the Mini on a road trip of ~ 2,000 kms in mid September to Adelaide and back to Melbourne via the scenic coastal road. I originally offered my son Hamish a trip to Bali but he said he preferred to go on a road trip. Getting a teenager to say anything is hard enough, so I’m very happy he wanted to go. Bonus is he will have held his ‘L’ plates for a year and will share in some of the driving.
To get the Mini back on the road and to make sure that all safety related items are OK, I have to do a ‘few’ things; being:
- Remove existing MegaSquirt relay board, and existing wiring for EFI sensors
- Fit EFI fuel filter under the car and connect hoses
- Remove standard engine driven fuel pump and fit blanking plate
- Fit new 30PSI fuel pressure sensor (for PWM control of fuel pressure)
- Fit new injector to throttle body
- Fit new solid state relays (SSR) for PWM control of injection fuel pump and radiator electric fan
- Clean and paint corner of bulkhead where brake fluid has removed paint and caused surface rust
- Finish fitting new Bluetooth radio
- Fit new relay and fuse block
- Wire new EFI harnesses to relay/fuse blocks and to sensors
- Fit MS to bottom of dash rail using nut inserts (more secure)
- Test and set-up PWM for both fuel pump and radiator fan control
- Fit new windscreen washer bag to hang under the R/H fender and connect it up
- Relocate power brake booster backwards by ~ 2″ to allow for a cold air/filter box to feed the MAF sensor that will be fitted at a later date.
- Replace the Cooper ‘S’ discs and pads
- Replace with new and paint both L/H & R/H top suspension arms
- Replace rear competition bump stops with standard bump stops
- Check rear wheel brake cylinders for leaks and also that they are 5/8″ bore.
- Fit the new heater
- Fit the new boot brackets and make a boot board to fit on top of these brackets
- Get wheel balance and alignment
Some of these things I’ve started… I’ll update the relevant Mini categories with details and pictures as I slowly march through this list and my money. LOL