Taken a while to report, but all things good come to those who wait!
- Fitted a new Lockheed brake booster as fitted to the last of the MkIII Cooper S’s. I fitted nut inserts to the brackets that I also purchased, so that the bolts inserted from the wheel well, making it easier to remove in the future.
- Fitted new vacuum hose with a new in-line one way valve. I also made a small loop for any fuel to collect in the hose, rather than going into the booster and perishing it.
- I also had to make two new brake pipes to suit the inlet and outlets of the booster. Had never done this before but, I found it quite easy to do once I found out how to use the pipe flare tool. These pipes used just a simple bubble type flare, but I also made a double flare just because I wanted to see how to. I bent the pipes so that they kept a path free for the MAF pipes that I hope to do soon.
- Being by my self today, it was a little harder to bleed the brakes, but in the end I got a reasonable hard pedal. I’ll bleed them further next week, when my Gunson Eezibleed kit arrives.
- I also took some time to fill all the many holes previous owners have drilled in the inner fender, (looks like a colander), and bulkhead with grommets.
- The windscreen washer bag that I purchased on Ebay and fitted previously, decided to become incontinent. It burst at the welded seam. So I scrubbed the old one to get rid of years of grime and it came up reasonably OK so it’s now fitted back in front of the new brake booster. I once again used nut inserts to hold it in place.
Some pictures for you.
- Fit new front and rear stainless steel bumpers complete with over riders and nerf bars. The chrome ones on the car are peeling and fit badly, plus I prefer the MkI Cooper ‘S’ period look.
- Continue to wire new EFI harnesses to relay/fuse blocks and to sensors.
- Test and set-up PWM for radiator fan control
- Re-bleed all 4 brakes when as all 4 corners Gunson Eezibleed kit arrives.
- Fit the new heater. (Not doing until I have car on the road and tuned in… it is summer after all!)
- Check timing and adjust the index position using TunerStudio to give the base timing value.
- Adjust VE table to get it running OK
- Take it for a drive to dial in VE table using TunerStudio’s VEAL.
- Check that it runs!
- Get a wheel balance and alignment.
If you would like to leave a comment (please do) , click the Leave a Reply link above.