Not a lot of progress. Fitted the MS under the dash. What a pain in the bleep that was. Very little room to see what your doing and to get a drill in there etc.;
Could only use 3 of the 4 mounting holes. I used PCB standoffs and made a tool that can be pressed over them to do a quick release which is basically a metal rod with a 3mm hole. Time will tell if the standoff’s are robust enough. I wanted the RS-232 port to be easily accessible for my RS-232 to Bluetooth converter used for communication with the MS IE on the fly tuning, firmware updates and the tuner studio software.
Here is the MS fitted under the drivers side dash.
Fitted the MS Relay board over the Heater blanking plate on the drivers side bulkhead, using 25mm high 3mm tapped standoffs. Drilled a hole in blanking plate for the MS to Relay interface cable. Tip: the surface on the bulkhead is not flat, so only use 3 standoffs, and re-drill the single hole in the between the 2 original holes.
Today I think I’ll have a Mental Health break. Tomorrow I should have enough time (famous last words) to complete the wiring and start her up.
- Fitted the fan and shroud to underside of wheel arch, tested the fan and also made sure wheel wouldn’t rub on full lock;
- Refitted the radiator and discovered it’s shroud was rubbing on the timing cover vent thingy-me-bob. So did some creative panel beating. Could this have been a source of rubbing and noise… time will tell. What a pain in the fanny it is putting the bolts back in. Luckily my son Hamish helped me;
On the way back this morning I called into a auto electrician to see if he could crimp the spark plug leads. He didn’t have a crimper, but he gave me an idea for a work around which I’ll try out, if it works I’ll post the details;
Here you can see radiator is back in, as well as I have placed the fuel regulator and the MegaSquirt relay board in their approximate positions.
Tonight I will finish wiring the final two missing connectors for the CTS and IAT that I picked up from EFI Hardware in Mitcham this morning.
Finish wiring all sensors, (this will mean all sensors required for ignition as well as fuel injection will be done), locate and fix MegaSquirt ECU, Relay board and the TechEdge wideband. Fit spark plug leads, start car (hopefully) and adjust base timing.
Not a lot of progress today. Wasted time out on the road looking for a crimp tool for ignition wire… ended up ordering on EBay tonight after AusMini user MINImal effort found one for me. Thanks.
Created a shroud for the thermo fan, so It will only suck air through the radiator, rather than the sides. Thanks to Mick for this tip. Eddie the dog was helping as per usual!
Fit radiator and thermo fan. Install MegaSquirt Relay Board, and MegaSquirt. Start the wiring in car. Maybe, just maybe will turn it over.
- Not much today. Just fitted the trigger wheel and used Loctite on the new front pulley bolt after I borrowed a stronger breaker bar from Mick (thanks Mick). Yesterdays bent breaker bar was a Sidchrome one I have been using for the last 30+ years. Maybe I have gotten stronger with age! Some pictures of the trigger wheel and VR sensor.
Not sure, might put thermostatic fan on and if enough time wire the spark plug leads. To be continued…